As far as hot drinks go, hot chocolate takes the cake. There’s something so nostalgic about it. I’m not quite sure what it is, but I always want hot chocolate! What about spiked hot chocolate? It is, after all, Valentine’s Day, so why not? I’m going to show you my favorite boozy hot chocolate recipe.
This recipe is completely dairy-free. I prefer unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will work.
Start by taking a small saucepan and adding the milk. Place the cinnamon on top and lightly simmer until milk begins to foam. Don’t boil! If the milk begins to boil, whisk until milk is foamy and the cinnamon stick is fragrant.
Slowly add the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
Turn off the heat and remove the cinnamon stick.
The spike in this drink is whiskey, I use Jameson Stout because it has delicious coffee notes and is perfect for hot chocolates!
Add the hot chocolate to a heat-proof mug, then add the whiskey. Mix until combined.
Garnish with whipped cream.
Top off with roasted marshmallows and add candy hearts if you’re in a festive mood!
The cutest hot chocolate I ever did see!
Spiked Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1.5 ounces of whiskey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Toasted marshmallows (optional)
- Add milk and cinnamon stick to medium sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat until cinnamon is fragrant. If milk begins to boil, whisk to ensure it doesn’t burn
- Slowly add in cocoa, sugar and salt and whisk until smooth and creamy. Turn off heat and remove saucepan from burner. Remove cinnamon.
- Add whiskey and mix to combine.
- Slowly pour into heat-proof mug and garnish with toasted marshmallow (optional)