Sipping on Smith Teamaker’s Red Nectar last Sunday really gave me a hankering for pancakes. I’ve been dreaming up the idea of rooibos and honeybush pancakes ever since. I wanted to steep the tea in steamed milk, then incorporate that milk into my pancake recipe. Kinda like a rooibos & honeybush tea latte pancake.
I gave it a go and oh, man, I knew right away that I had to share this recipe!
These pancakes are so light and fluffy and the steamed milk give an airy texture that is insanely unique.
For this recipe, you’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, tea infused steamed almond milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
HOW TO MAKE TEA INFUSED STEAMED MILK:
Pour the milk into a medium saucepan and simmer until the milk begins to boil. To avoid burning the milk, don’t let the milk reach a full boil. As soon as bubbles begin to form, turn off the burner.
Add the tea bag to the milk and let it steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bag and you now have tea infused steamed milk!
Using a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients. Slowly pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl, mixing until all ingredients are combined. The mixture will have some lumps and that’s perfectly fine.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 cups of almond milk, steamed and infused with tea
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pat of butter for garnish (optional)
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Using medium heat, heat up a cast iron pan/griddle.
- Add a slice of butter or a splash of high-heat oil to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter on top of the heated pan/griddle.
- Let each side of the pancake cook for about a minute, until both sides are golden brown.
- Top off with butter (optional) and syrup.
Rooibos and honeybush latte pancakes for the win!