We are officially in mulled cider season! (Finally!) Every year I look forward to cozy days when the scent of mulled cider fills the house, I think it’s the only thing that gets me through the summer months. Ok, summer isn’t that bad but this humidity in New England is something else. This year, I wanted to switch it up a bit. Instead of mulled cider, why not mulled tea? Sure enough, it was delicious. I’m sharing my easy mulled tea recipe with you today and I hope you love it.
I like to use a crockpot when mulling my ciders and teas. The crockpot allows the aroma to last longer, which is an awesome bonus, and it’s also a fail-proof way to keep your ingredients at a consistent temperature without burning them or turning them bitter.
In a muslin bag, add the orange slices (I used a Darling orange), tea, cloves, cinnamon sticks and allspice. Add the bag to a small crockpot then pour water over top (I used about a liter of water). Allow the ingredients to steep for at least 4 hours then taste. If it isn’t strong enough then allow it to steep for 2 more hours.
This recipe is naturally unsweetened. If you prefer yours to be sweeter, add a tablespoon of honey, or to taste. I like a classic spice to mine, but this recipe is yours to use as you wish. Feel free to add any of your favorite ingredients to customize this recipe. I hope you love it!
MULLED TEA RECIPE
- Orange slices (I used a small Darling orange)
- 4 teaspoons of tea
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon of honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- In a medium muslin bag, combine all of the ingredients and add it to a crockpot. Pour about a liter of water over top.
- Allow them to steep over medium heat in a crockpot for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Steep the muslin bag longer for a stronger flavor.
- Remove the muslin bag and add the honey if desired.
- Serve in heat-proof glasses.