It might technically be spring but it still feels like winter, and for me that means more baking! There’s something about cold weather and baking that does something to my soul. And although I’m ready for warmer weather, I’m never mad about an excuse to bake. I thought it would be interesting to make a loaf of bread from Masala Chai by Rishi’s Tea & Botanicals. It was delicious! I definitely have to share it with all of you!
The bread tastes just like a chai tea and the frosting makes the bread a great dessert bread. They are perfect for French toast or an after dinner bread.
How to make the bread:
To begin, brew a pot of tea and reserve 1/2 cup and set it aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an oven-safe loaf pan or baking dish (approximately 8″x8″) and set it aside.
Using an electric mixer on low speed, cream the sugar and butter until it becomes fluffy. Add the reserved tea water, milk, and eggs until well combined. The mixture will have a curdled appearance. Slowly mix in the all-purpose flour, salt and cinnamon. Pour the bread batter into the greased loaf pan and place into the oven for 50 minutes.
After 50 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean then the bread is ready. If the toothpick isn’t clean, place the loaf back into the oven and continue to bake until the toothpick is clean. Once the bread is ready, allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides and remove the bread from the pan and allow the bread to fully cool on a cooling rack, approximately another 20 minutes.
Mix the glaze ingredients until it begins to liquify then spread the glaze on top of the cooled bread.
Masala Chai Tea Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Masala Chai tea water
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Glaze Recipe (optional)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grease a square loaf pan/baking dish
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy
- Add the tea, milk, vanilla and eggs until well combined. The mixture will appear curdled
- Slowly mix in the flour, salt and cinnamon
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean then the bread is ready. If the toothpick isn’t clean, place the loaf back into the oven and continue to bake until the toothpick is clean
- Let the bread cool for 10 minutes
- Loosen the sides of the bread from the pan and remove from the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack for at least 20 minutes
- Whisk all of the glaze ingredients together until they liquify
- Spread the glaze on top of the cooled bread
The aroma while the bread is cooking is amazing! Have you ever tried chai bread before?