Happy Cinco de Mayo! Do you normally celebrate Cinco de Mayo, if so how do you celebrate? I wasn’t sure why Cinco de Mayo became such an international celebration so I dug into the history a bit. It turns out it’s a holiday to celebrate the 1862 victory of the Mexican Army over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. Thanks History Channel for always feeding me knowledge! Today I am sharing my hibiscus grapefruit margarita recipe. It’s perfect for your Cinco De Mayo celebrations today. It’s slightly sweet, the bitterness of the grapefruit really levels out the flavor, making it not too sweet and not too better. The gorgeous ruby red color makes the drink too irresistible to try.
If you’re the non-drinking type, feel free to leave out the tequila without sacrificing any of the flavor. Alcohol is totally optional in this recipe.
HIBISCUS GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA RECIPE
- 1.5 ounces of tequila
- 1/2 cup of hibiscus tea
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 grapefruit, juiced
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedge for garnish (optional)
- Salt for rim (optional)
- Brew a pot of tea and allow it to cool to room temperature, reserve 1/2 cup
- Add hibiscus tea, tequila, lime juice and grapefruit juice to a shaker and fill halfway with ice. Shake well
- Rub a lime on the rim of your serving glass and place the rim on a plate of salt for a salted rim (optional)
- Fill the salt rimmed serving glass with ice and strain the shaker into the glass
- Add a lime wedge for a garnish (optional)