Although today doesn’t feel like it, warmer days are upon us! That means ice tea and coffee season! I’ll share one of my dreamiest iced tea recipes, I call it a ginger Yerba mate sparkler.
This recipe contains no alcohol so it’s totally kid-friendly. If you’re more inclined to go the boozy way, put a shot of tequila in it. You’re welcome.
Yerba mate is an herbal tea made out of tea and twigs from a South American plant. It has the strength of coffee and the benefits of tea. Yerba mate seems to have it all, not to mention antioxidants and essential amino acids. You can read about some of the benefits here.
GINGER YERBA MATE SPARKLER RECIPE
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 cup of Yerba mate brewed tea, cooled
- Sparkling water
- 1 lime, juiced
- Raw honey, to taste
- A piece of ginger for a garnish (optional)
- Brew a pot of Yerba mate tea, let it steep for 5 minutes. Allow it to cool to room temperate and reserve about a cup
- In a glass or shaker, muddle the sliced ginger
- Add the lime juice, cooled tea water and honey
- In a serving glass, fill with ice cubes, strain the tea mixture over the glass then top off with sparkling water.
- Add ginger garlic (optional)