The most delicate flowers make the most delicate beverages. Before I moved to New England, I spent most of my time in the Southwest and was introduced to so many new things. Everything seemed like a world far different than what I was used to and I loved every minute of it. One of the things I was introduced to was agua fresca. For me, they were an easy way to stay hydrated in the arid environments. They’re also an awesome way to get the nutritional benefits of fruit into my daily routine.
In my opinion, agua frescas are also light and delicate. I wanted to pair gentle flower petals with agua fresca and I discovered the most delicate-est of the delicates.
I brewed our Petal Blend herbal tea, made with chamomile, elderflower and lavender petals. It’s s super delicate and soft blend of the sweetest flower petals. I allowed it to cool to room temperature then peeled the cucumber and diced it into small pieces. I also juiced a lime and set it aside.
In a blender, add the diced cucumber, strawberries (I used frozen in a 10-ounce bag), lime juice and cooled tea water. Blend until liquified. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove the seeds. I don’t mind a few seeds (actually, I prefer it) so I used a strainer with larger holes. Pour into a pitcher and keep refrigerated. Agua fresca, there you have it.
Although the drink is naturally sweetened by the fruit and tea, sweetener can also be used if desired. I suggest simple syrup, honey or agave nectar since they are water soluble.
FLOWER PETAL AGUA FRESCA
- 2 cups freshly brewed tea, cooled to room temperature
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 10 ounce package of strawberries, frozen
- 1 lime, juiced
- Ice cubes
- Brew two cups of tea and allow it to cool to room temperature, set aside
- Peel the cucumber and dice into little pieces
- Juice the lime
- In a blender, combine tea water, cucumber pieces, strawberries, lime juice and ice cubes until fully blended
- Strain the juice with a strainer or cheesecloth to separate the seeds from the juice
- Store agua fresca in the refrigerator