Have you ever tried Affogato? It sounds super fancy but the basics of it consist of pouring coffee over ice cream. It’s simple and exotic and a delicacy you must try.
To begin, add a large scoop of ice cream to a heat-safe proof glass. I used chocolate because that’s my favorite but I also think mint chocolate chip or caramel ice cream would be delicious as well. I’m excited to experiment with different ice cream flavors.
To jazz things up a bit, I decided to add Brain Dust by Moon Juice to my coffee. This allows me to soak up those medicinal properties while I indulge in dessert for breakfast. I love dessert and I don’t normally eat sweets for breakfast, but this recipe is perfect for special occasions or a brunch date. If I don’t remind myself to consume sweets in moderation, I’ll find myself eating ice cream all day! Adding the medicinal properties is a good trade off and completely justifies eating ice cream in the morning!
Frothing the Brain Dust and coffee mixes the two together and creates a creamy texture, which I love when I drink unsweetened coffee.
After the coffee is prepared, pour it over the ice cream (about a half a cup, depending on how much ice cream is in your glass). The goal is to get the ice cream to slightly melt.
Top off with whipped cream and dark chocolate if desired. I wanted to keep garnishes simple since the affogato is already so perfect as it is. I didn’t want to complicate the simplicity of it all.
If you’d like to switch up the toppings a bit, below are some good options for an affogato:
- Sliced almonds
- Jimmies (chocolate sprinkles)
- Coconut shreds
- Ground peanuts
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
Scoop the affogato with a spoon and try not to eat it all in 2 seconds (it’s impossible!). If you haven’t had an affogato yet, do yourself a solid and try it! Let me know what you think.
- About a half a cup of freshly brewed coffee
- 1 large scoop of ice cream
- Brain Dust (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Dark chocolate bar (optional)
- Prepare freshly brewed coffee and reserve about a half a cup.
- Add one teaspoon of Brain Dust and using a frother, frother the Brain Dust and coffee together (optional).
- Using a heat-safe glass, add one large scoop of ice cream to the glass.
- Pour prepared coffee over ice cream.
- Top off with whipped cream and dark chocolate bar (optional)